You maybe asking yourself, is sales a good career? It really depends on who you are and how you sell. Let’s go over a few characteristics necessary to be a great salesperson.
- Great sales people set their own high goals. They aren’t waiting for the boss to set their goals and quotas. They are proactive people that set high and challenging goals. Goals that are specific, demanding, attainable but out of current arms reach, relevant and within a specific time frame our best. Being able to visualize how you will achieve your goal and take the initiation to achieve it is crucial to making it as a sales person.
- They say there is no stupid question, however, the best kinds of salespeople make sure they are asking quality questions to their customers that are relevant and help them determine what the customer’s needs are exactly. They get to know their customers so that they can most effectively combat the customers objections, hesitations and concerns. They also realize that once you get to know your customer you have the room to ask tough questions to make the customer sink without becoming offended.
- A good salesperson must also be able to go after new business without hesitation. This may involve starting earlier than your coworkers for spending less time on things that are irrelevant to the job such as social media and small talking with colleagues. The best sales representatives have made more calls, more contacts, have had more conversations and made more prospects than anyone that they work with.
- Many people find being to persistent annoying so as a top seller you will have to find a way to balance that. But top performers are persistent. Selling will always be met with an obstacle. Whether it is the customer for the product or the lack of customer, there will always be something to overcome but you must refuse to give up.
- Another characteristic of a good seller is their ears. A good seller will listen to everything the customer tells them and will speak when they have the right opportunity. Speaking fast and hard and trying to sell the client as quickly as possible before they lose interest does not work. Top sales people have realized that they must have a conversation; it cannot be one-sided.
- Next on the list is believing in your product. You must know everything about the product. Every question that your customer asks you about it must be able to be answered. You want to know is sales a good career; it hinges off of your trust in your product. If you do not believe in what you were selling your customer will notice it, no matter how good you are. No your product, believe in it and you will be able to convince other people.
- Another piece of sales career advice I have for you is to be passionate. This goes along with being positive and believe in your product. Be in love with your company and show pride in your work and in their product and services. When you are enthusiastic about your product it will show through and excite the person you’re talking to.
This may look difficult to you but don’t worry, anyone can achieve it. Having a career in sales just takes a lot of hard work and a disciplined mind but it can be done. Is sales a good career? Find out for yourself!