Steel shipping containers are some of the most versatile and useful sustainable building materials available. You can use you can use them to make shipping container swimming pools, portable office containers, portable storage facilities, among hundreds of other uses. They are made to be stacked eight high on ships and withstand hurricane-like weather conditions, and are even fire proof, making them a stout building material. Insurance companies love when you insure a facility that is made with a steel shipping container, and even offer discounts for it. And even better, you can find a used or even a new storage container for sale for a fraction of the cost you would have to spend to build the structure yourself.
If you are interested in finding use or a new storage container for sale for your building project, here are some tips for get started, so that the process goes smoothly:
- Research the building codes in your area. Steal shipping containers weigh thousands of pounds and take quite a bit of work to relocate. The last thing you want to do is go through all the trouble of moving a steal shipping container to your property, only to be told by the city that it violates your building codes and you have to take it down. To avoid this, do a quick search of the building codes in your city on Google, or contact the government department of building permits in the area you live in.
- Research shipping container types. Finding the most cost-effective new storage container for sale depends on the purpose that you have it. Steel shipping containers come with an open top or entirely contained. There is refrigerated models with extra insulation. There are models that are already fabricated with sliding doors or other modifications depending on their original purpose.
Typically, the less fabricated the storage container is to begin with, the less expensive it is going to be per foot and (unless you need the exact fabrication made to the shipping container), the less alteration you’ll need to make to it. Standard shipping containers come in sizes that are 8′ wide and 8.5′ feet tall, and either 20′ long or 40′ long. You should have a good layout of your project before you are searching for shipping containers, so that you know the appropriate size and shape you need.
- Shop for your containers. The easiest way to locate shipping containers for sale is by using an established shipping container broker or a local reseller. Going this route, you can expect to pay about $2000 for a 20′ shipping container or approximately $2300 for a 40′ container, including delivery. Obviously, anyone who resells shipping containers is adding expenses for their time, so if you’re on a tight budget, you could try to save by contacting shipyards directly and purchasing unused containers straight from the source.
If you skip purchasing from a reseller, you will need to take these additional steps:
- Research the ownership of the shipping container, so that you know you aren’t buying a container from someone who doesn’t even own it. You can do that by pulling the serial number off of the side of the container, and then calling the company listed on it.
- You will likely need to coordinate your own delivery. Keep in mind that you will need to involve somebody who has a commercial drivers license to put it on the road.
Do you have any other tips for locating and purchasing storage containers? Please share them in the comment section below.