When there is going to be an engagement, there needs to be an engagement ring. Many people aren’t sure of the type they want to buy or what their significant other might want to wear. If you are ready to buy an engagement ring, you need to know about the various gem cuts that diamonds often come from. You should also know whether you want a real diamond or to simply get cheap simulated diamond rings. This might be an option if you are on a serious budget and will need money for the wedding.
There are some that have a cheap princess cut diamond. There are also cheap square engagement rings that can look great on a finger. If you are seeking out classy elegant engagement rings, you might want to go to a smaller shop that specializes in custom rings and other jewelry. If you are looking for the most inexpensive thing that you can get, try the big box stores at their jewelry counters. These rings may not be of the highest quality, but they are much more budget-friendly. When you know exactly what you want, it will be much easier to shop and to get what you need.
You have to choose an engagement ring, but you want to do something special. You like diamond rings, but how do you choose a good one. And what about something a bit less traditional, like a gemstone ring? Here’s everything you need to know to choose among all the engagement rings.
Know Your Diamonds
If a diamond engagement rings are your thing, there are some things you should know.
- It’s definitely still is the traditional choice. Three-quarters of American brides get gold and diamond rings for their engagement.
- There are four things that determine how valuable a diamond is. Naturally, these four things also affect the price! When asking about a diamond you want to know the cut, the clarity, the carat, and the color.
- There is more than one color of diamond. The traditional ring diamond is clear, but black diamonds are showing up in more and more places. These aren’t black because they’ve been dyed. The color is naturally occurring. Green and red diamonds are also very valuable; and very rare! However, unless your diamond is specifically meant to be colored, the less color it has the more valuable it is.
Gemstone rings are becoming more and more popular. They’re beautiful, but there are some considerations to bear in mind.
- Choose a durable stone. When choosing a gemstone engagement ring, it’s important that it last. The durability of diamonds is one of the reasons they have always been so popular as engagement rings! Other very durable gems include the sapphire and ruby. Emeralds are known for their great beauty, but they can chip. A peridot can be a better choice if you want a green gemstone ring. Some semi-precious stones that also make lovely gemstone rings are rubellite, garnet, and spinel.
- Understanding the color of your stone. When it comes to gemstone rings, the color is the most important factor. Three things affect the color, and the value, of any gem. Those three are saturation, tone, and hue. One of the great advantages of gemstone rings over diamond engagement rings is the opportunity to say something with color. It’s not just about what color is your favorite, but what kind of statement it makes and how it reflects on you or says something about your journey together.
Making The Big Purchase
Buying an engagement ring can be a stressful experience. Here are some tips to make it a bit easier, whether you’re buying diamonds or gemstone rings.
- Consider letting your lady pick her own. Some women prefer to be surprised by the ring, but if you know that your intended has precise tastes, it might be a good idea to let her at least show you what styles she likes. No matter what, do keep the receipt.
- Get the size right. Resizing some rings can be tricky, plus it will be a disappointment to your bride to have to wait to wear her new bling. Ask her size, get someone else to ask for you, or sneak a ring out of her jewelry box briefly and have a jeweler size it for you.
- Visit more than one jeweler. Don’t narrow your search to just one jeweler. Visit several so you can get an array of styles and prices to look at. You can also look online, as well. Before you go or call, be sure to have your budget settled so you know what you can comfortably afford.
Buying a ring is one of the first steps in a life changing experience. Make sure that the ring you buy starts off your new life together in the way you both want.